Monday, September 14, 2009

My Love Affair With Chalkboard Paint

It all started out rather innocently. We first met at my friend Erica's house or maybe at Maureen's, that part is all foggy because I was suddenly lost in a moment of daydreaming about all of the possibilities. Nathan and I are happily married, but I did fall in love with chalkboard paint. Here are some of my favorites and a couple of "flops" too. Maybe you've tried something I haven't? Let me know... there's still a little left in the can.


Project 1- Weekly dinner menu. This helps me shop efficiently, stay on budget and keeps me from wasting time wondering what to make everyday. I use a chalk pen that washes off for the writing I plan to have up for a long time and regular chalk for things I erase often.

.



Project 2- Labeling shelves... before baby Tula came I knew I would need to have help from others but still wanted things to be put away in the right places. Having an organized home requires systems other family members can follow easily. If I don't have a designated place for things, they tend to end up in piles eventually.




Project 3- Flop! Painting the top of a kids table. I thought it would be a prefect place to chalk...but discovered more chalk ended up on my daughter's shirt as she bent over the table coloring. On the back of the chairs I wrote cheesy things like, "Sweet Cheeks Needed" and "Hot Buns Wanted" but the words were always smudged by sticky and wet fingers within minutes.









Project 4- Painting ugly wooden plaques from Goodwill and writing words of inspiration, favorite quotes, etc.




Project 5- Painting the upper half of my bedroom closet door. I just erased what I had on it... a bunch of encouraging words about beauty because I just had a baby and my closet door is the first place I look every morning when I wake up. I wanted a place I could write words I needed to see often. Sometimes I write the lyrics to a new song I love or sometimes I fill it with some spiritual truth, etc.

2 comments:

Astrid, Mike, Leon + Oliver said...

Hi Erin! I'm a lover of chalkboard paint as well. Have you seen this?: http://www.designmom.com/2008/03/chalkboard-oilcloth.html

- Astrid

Ps: Sorry I never even talked to you at Maureen's on Saturday!

Turbyfill said...

Oh, I'm getting this stuff.